Redmi 5A Pros and Cons: Top 12 Solid Reasons to buy & 11 Reasons not to buy it
Xiaomi is renowned for leading the budget smartphones market and has launched another budget smartphone ‘Redmi 5A’ on December 07th which is an upgrade to its previous budget smartphone ‘Redmi 4A‘. While there is not much difference in specifications compared with its predecessor, but Redmi 5A is still impressed with its price and tagline “Desh Ka Smartphone” as it is manufactured in India.
Now let’s discuss the Specifications, Price, Availability, Pros and Cons of Redmi 5A along with the overall conclusion of whether or not this device is worth the money.
Redmi 5A: Price and Availability In India
Xiaomi Redmi 5A is available on flash sales on Flipkart and mi.com and also Mi home stores but not on Amazon. The company has priced Redmi 5A at price 5,999 (2GB/16GB) and 6,999 (3GB/32GB) with a cashback of 1,000 for Jio users for both variants.
Redmi 5A: Highlights
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A is Manufactured in India and comes with a tagline “Desh Ka Smartphone”
- It offers dedicated SD card slot.
- Special Introductory discount of 1,000 on first 5 million units sold.
- Available on Flash sales on Flipkart and Mi.com and also at Mi Home Stores.
- Redmi 5A is priced at 5,999 for 2GB RAM variant and 6,999 for 3GB RAM variant.
Redmi 5A: Review with Pros and Cons
Every phone has its own advantages and disadvantages and the same is with Redmi 5A. So Let’s check them out all one be one.
Redmi 5A: Pros or Reasons to purchase it
- Cameras: Redmi 5A comes with a rear camera of 13 MP and front camera of 5 MP. These cameras are similar to its predecessor Redmi 4A. Both front and rear camera provide quite decent images in the sufficient natural & artificial lighting condition and selfies are nice.
- The autofocus was quick in locking during daytime but time to process images is considerably low. As it is a budget flagship, expecting too much from the photography department or cameras is totally unfair to its end.
- Talking about Redmi 5A’s design and built quality, it’s alike Redmi 4A. Redmi 5A is completely made up of plastic with a metallic finish to it. Available in two colour i.e. gold with white front and dark grey with a black front, we would recommend dark grey as it looks great.
- It’s best low budget phone for the single-hand use. It is slightly curved which make the lead to a firm grip on the device. Has power and volume button on the right within easy reach whereas on left there are two trays for dual SIM and for SDcard.
- Display: Redmi 5A comes with a 5-inch panel with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. Panel quality is good as reckoning its lower price. It has an adequate amount of brightness which comes quite handy when using the smartphone under direct sunlight and the ambient sensor optimizes the brightness of the display according to its surrounding. We came across the built-in reading mode of Redmi 5A which shift the display tone to a warmer setting that put our eyes at ease.
- Performance and Software: It comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 processor, with four cores clocked at 1.4GHz and Android 7.1.2 Nougat with 9v of its custom MIUI skin running on top. Day to day task such as web browsing, social media apps, and messaging where able to runs smoothly. Xiaomi has done a great job in creating a balancing between performance and price. We were even able to run games too.
- Battery: Even though it has smaller battery compared to Redmi 4A. The battery capacity is 3,000mAh. As it pitching “Desh ka smartphone” with a long-lasting battery. Well, we discovered that the battery last full day without being too much exhausted with causal use and at the end of the day we were left with nearly 20% of the battery backup which is a plus point.
- There is a dedicated SDcard tray for expanding the storage. Now we don’t have to pick between using dual SIM or expanding the storage.
- An interesting feature turns out to be the IR emitter present at the top of device which can be used to control household appliances.
- Redmi 5A features 2.5 D Glass on front which ensures good design and grip in hand. Here is the image to clear your doubt on 2.5D Glass and normal 2D Glass-
- If go through the Settings app, we discovered that there is options for splitting the quick toggles into a separate panel within the notifications area, a “Second Space” user profile for privacy, gesture shortcuts and assigning extra functions to the Android navigation keys.
- No issue with voice calling and in 4G VoLTE.
Bonus for your visit:- As you visit we give you bonus of tips & tricks- Top 5 Cool & Best Youtube trick that you must know
Xiaomi Redmi 5A: Cons or Reasons not to buy it
- Rear Camera: The biggest drawback which we came across was the camera, as the pictures lack detail, objects have fuzzy border, textures aren’t cool when reproduced and the colours are a bit dull. There is great degrade in picture quality at night as it becomes problematic to capture an image without an artificial light directly falling on it. While clicking pics in HDR, camera drastically slows down. Again, we are saying that it is a low-budget smartphone so not to expect more from the Camera segment.
- The front camera has an over the top beautification by default, which makes selfies totally unnatural and artificial.
- When coming to video recording, it is up to 1080p but we find out that the video quality is not great, looks artificial and non-smooth.
- One has to use unlock pattern or pin as there is no fingerprint user with this smartphone.
- Redmi 5A is unable to handle heavy games as it lags and doesn’t run smoothly.
- As the speaker grill present on the lower back of the phone that suppress the sound when placed face up on any surface. At high volume, the sound quality gets distorted and becomes weak.
- When switching between apps it tends to shutter and lag a bit.
- The capacitive navigation buttons present on the lower front are non-backlit.
- You will miss out Compass, Gyroscope sensor and NFC too.
- There is no screen protection, so we suggest you to use tempered glass on buying it.
- No earphone was packed inside the box. If you are looking for best earphones then check these out- 10 Best Earphones to buy under ₹1000 in India or 5 Best Earphones under 500 Rs.
Redmi 5A: Conclusion
Redmi 5A continues to impress us with a great balance between price and performance. It almost justifies the tagline “Desh Ka Smartphone”. We would recommend if the buyer is able to get a hold on the 2GB/16GB version at the introductory offer price of Rs. 4,999, then it totally a jackpot deal. As it provides performance and battery backup at a budget price which makes it surpass other smartphones with same price value. If you are ok with its cons as mentioned above then you should surely go for it. Also, if you are higher in budget then check this out- 10 Best Phones under 15000 (Rs) in India Depth Review.
Here is the video to look on-
Hand Picked other articles:
- Top 10 Best Phones under 15000 (Rs) in India Depth Review
- Best Earphones under 500 Rs: These 5 earphones are best to pick in 500 (Depth Review)
- Honor 7x Pros and Cons: Top 15 Solid Reason to buy & Top 13 Solid Reason to not buy
- Top 10 Best Earphones to buy under ₹1000 in India (Depth Review)
- 10 Best Smartphone under 10000 (Rs) in India (Depth Review)
- Top 5 Cool & Best Youtube trick that you must know