Samsung Galaxy J8 Pros and Cons- Solid Reasons to Change Your Mind
‘A phone for the masses’ is what Samsung believes in as it tries to overtake its biggest competitor Xiaomi in the Indian smartphone market. Samsung realizes that even though there is a lot of market for premium devices, real volume sales can come only from value-for-money devices. Hence it has launched a phone focusing on ‘best ever user experience’ for less money. To suit the pocket of the average Indian it has launched the Samsung Galaxy J8 in the sub-Rs. 20,000 segment. But would you recommend the same to your friends? To find out the truth we need to explore various features, the specifications as well as the pros and cons of this Galaxy J8.
Samsung J8 has strong competition from some solid devices like the Redmi Y2, Redmi Note 5 Pro, Oppo F7, Nokia 6. It manages to hold its own thanks to its apt processor and a stunning display and beautiful design. But this comes at a compromise of some key factors and we have to take those into consideration too. So what are the positive and the negative points associated with the Samsung J8 which will help decide whether to buy the same? Let’s look at the pros and cons of Samsung Galaxy J8 to finalize our decision –
Here are the Samsung Galaxy J8 Pros and Cons
- 6-inch super AMOLED screen with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio which is good, although the resolution is only HD+.
- Dual-camera setup at the rear, with a 16-megapixel primary camera and 5-megapixel secondary camera, along with a 16-megapixel camera at the front.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 SoC
- 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage
- 3,500mAh battery, and comes with a 7.5W micro-USB charger.
Samsung Galaxy J8- Pros or Reasons to buy
Here are the pros of the Samsung Galaxy J8-
- The rear camera is fitted with 16MP+5MP shooters accompanied with LED flash, pill-shaped fingerprint sensor and the Samsung branding. A variety of modes are on offer and these include Live Focus, Beauty, Night, Panorama, and Sports and most importantly the portrait mode. In good light, the picture turns out the detailed and balance color. Portrait mode captures farily good pictures detecting edge well enough where the background works very well. As Expected, J8 stands well here.
- Video recording is possible at up to full-HD resolution regardless of which camera you shoot with. Here is the Video Sample from the GIZGUIDEPH-
- The front camera prides itself on the selfie department. Selfies turn out to be more realistic as compared to its contemporaries. They can be enhanced using the beauty mode.
- Vibrant color reproduction and deep contrasts give this phone a healthy display. The Outdoor mode which is the latest introduction to the world of smartphones as it takes care of visibility under sunlight. Further, there is a feature to restrict the amount of blue light emitting from the screen and its called Blue light filter.
- J8 boasts of a matte finish real panel and curved corners thus giving it a superior look. But what truly sets it apart is the AMOLED screen which helps with better black levels and energy efficiency and which is far better than the IPS LCD screens used by other phones in the same price segment.
- Samsung J8 comes with 64GB of internal storage and the good thing is that the same can be expanded further by adding a microSD card as there is a provision for connecting the same.
- The J8’s performance as far as the audio is concerned is very satisfactory. Both loudspeaker and headphones live upto the expectations.
- Android 8.0 Oreo with Samsung Experience UI on top is present in Samsung J8 and this helps to customize. Google and Microsoft apps are aplenty but these cannot be uninstalled, instead only disabled. Besides apps like Samsung Max, Samsung Mall, Samsung Pay Mini which are apps from Samsung itself are also present in the phone.
- Samsung J8 scores a lot of points with regards to the battery, in fact, the battery life is one of its USPs. Out here it’s a 3500mAh battery with a 7.5W micro-USB charger a single charge is enough for a day or even lasting for part of the second day.
- The Battery Backup on this phone is very good, give upto 2 days of battery backup.
Samsung Galaxy J8: Cons or Reasons not to buy
Here are the cons of the Samsung Galaxy J8-
- J8 is left wanting as far as the hardware inside is concerned. It is equipped with an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor clocked at 1.8GHz. Xiaomi Redmi 5 has the same processor and costs half as much.
- The brightness of the screen has to be adjusted manually since the ambient light sensor surprisingly is missing. Further, a magnetometer and a gyroscope have also been omitted. Lack of such important features makes the J8 lose big time with respect to competition.
- The camera at best it is above average but certainly not the best. Locking focus at times is difficult and therefore macro shots suffer. It suffers from colour accuracy as well. Objects at a distance lose out on detail. When zooming in on photos taken at night lack of detail occurs.
- Fast charging of the battery is not possible and though the battery can last upto 2 days, it takes a lot of time to charge.
- Samsung J8 is being promoted as a good looking phone but in reality, a glass or metal body is missing. A matte-finish plastic back and frame are what is being made available with the phone and this can be quite disappointing as it doesn’t give the feeling of solidity as do devices made of metal.
So this was our take on the advantages and disadvantages of the latest Samsung Galaxy J8, read further for our final words on whether or not you should buy this smartphone.back to menu ↑
Final Thoughts on Samsung Galaxy J8
A budget phone in the Indian market faces stiff competition. Samsung J8, a beautifully designed phone boasts of a lot of new features while missing out on quite a few essential ones. For those looking to just walk into their neighbourhood mobile store and get their favourite brand this is a sensible choice. But there is no doubt that it is expensive with regards to what all it is offering. But a Samsung fan might be reluctant to try some other brand and also he can count on Samsung’s extensive service network across the country which might not be true for its competitors. Finally, it is safe to conclude that by dishing out a few extra grands you end up with a good buy.
Still if you any doubt after going through the Samsung Galaxy J8 Pros and Cons, its conclusion then ask your question in the Comment and get Answer immediately.back to menu ↑
Like the Samsung Galaxy J8? Buy now!
Samsung Galaxy J8: Expert Score and User Ratings
- Great battery life
- Solid build quality
- Super AMOLED Display
- Lacks essential sensors
- Slow fingerprint & face recognition
- Focus issues within camera
This was the short Samsung Galaxy J8 Pros and Cons with the expert score.back to menu ↑
Samsung Galaxy J8 [Best Price/Lowest Price Alert]
We hope you like our post “Samsung Galaxy J8 Pros and Cons” and for any doubt feel free to ask via comment.
Also, If you are looking for other high-quality Tech reviews or list of best gadgets then google it like “best phones under 10000 topbestof” or “best earphones under 1000 topbestof”, “Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) topbestof” or in general “what you want + topbestof”.