Today, Xiaomi has become one of the successful Smartphone brands in the Indian market. With the beginning of 2018, Xiaomi has started with a bang for its fans with its new products being budget-friendly i.e., Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro. Today, we will be discussing the Redmi note 5 today.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 with its eye-catching design and thin bezel has caught many people’s attention. However, Xiaomi has stayed with the concept of being budget friendly with its Note series, making the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 available for the Rs 9,999 for its 3 GB variant and 11,999 for its 4 GB variant.
We will be going through every specification, covering all features and providing you our opinion on the Pros and Cons of Redmi Note 5 and how well it would stand out in our modern day to day life.
(Tap on Following list to Jump to Desired Section)
Redmi Note 5 with Pros and Cons [Full List]
Let’s go to Redmi Note 5’s advantages and disadvantages so that you make a clear idea about phone. But before starting, have a look at highlights-
- Rear Camera- 12 MP with Dual LED Flash.
- Front Camera- 5 MP with LED Flash.
- 5.99-inch Full HD+ Display with 2.5D curved glass (18:9 Aspect ratio Screen).
- 1.8 GHz octa-core Snapdragon 625 chipset.
- Android Nougat 7.1.2 and MIUI 9.2.
- 4000 mAh battery.
back to menu ↑
Redmi Note 5: Pros or Reason to Buy
- Front camera: Note 5 is equipped with a 5 MP front camera which comes with a ‘Beautify ’mode making it social media ready for our selfie lovers out there, it also comes selfie LED flash which helps you take Pictures or video even in low light.Pictures and videos taken outdoor stood out to be decently sharp, however, the front camera did suffer while in low lighting condition and when used indoors.
- Rear camera: Even though the rear camera is equipped with just 12 MP unlike its predecessor the Redmi Note 4 which was equipped with 13 MP camera; the Redmi Note 5 has upgraded its Camera hardware featuring the f/2.2 aperture which comes with auto-focus, delivering sharp Pictures and Video quality with a good amount of details.The saturation and color contrast could be tweaked according to desire in the camera settings.
- The HDR mode did a really good job in capturing the high amount of details and light exposure resulting in impressive Picture and Video quality. The camera did stand out to be decent even in low lighting conditions. The shutter time was instantaneous but the HDR mode did take some time in capturing the details.
- This phone does come with an inbuilt IR blaster near the headphone jack on top which allows the user to control IR supported devices like Television and Air conditioner with the device itself.
- The Smartphone comes with the latest custom ROM by Xiaomi i.e; the MIUI 9 which creates an immersive UI experience between the user and the device.
- The phone was equipped with Gyroscope sensor allowing you to enjoy Virtual Reality Games and Movies.
- The Redmi Note 5 comes with an octa-core Snapdragon 625 processor which is clocked at 2.0 GHz with 64- bit architecture, it’s powerful processor allow us to do multitasking smoothly without killing the apps that we opened in the background.
- MIUI 9 homed lots of cool features one of which being gestures like the ‘Double Tap to wake’ and three fingers swipe down for screenshot which I found to be quite useful in daily life. MIUI 9 comes with many features like the MI cloud which helps you store your media and files on the cloud when you’re running short on storage. The “one hand mode” is the Mode which I personally love and find myself using often, it basically shrinks your screen either on the right or the left as per preference and makes your entire screen accessible with just one hand making it a really handy feature.
- The phone with its beautiful 5.99 full HD+ display is brighter than the Redmi note 4 and can be accessible in daylight and outdoor conditions without causing any viewing issue.
- On the display, you will find Corning Gorilla Glass but the company didn’t specified which version of the Gorilla is used.
- The Redmi note 5 is the note series to have a thin bezel, rocking 2.5D curved glass which in my opinion with the thin bezel makes the Redmi Note 5 look pretty “DOPE!”
- Xiaomi has gone with a full metal body for its Redmi note 5 like it did with the Redmi note 4 managing the weight of the device to be just 180 grams despite its huge battery, overall the phone feels and looks premium and is comfortable while holding.
- The temperature on this Smartphone stay minimal even on heavy gaming. The temperature of the phone ranged between 32°-37° even on heavy games like Asphalt 8 and Modern combat 5, running without any lag issues. So, I would recommend this phone to our gamers out there.
- The Smartphone does support fast charging allowing users fast charging considering that you will have to buy a third party charger as Xiaomi comes with a normal 5v charger in the box which doesn’t offer fast charging.
- Xiaomi did a good job placing the Speaker grills at the bottom of the Handset causing no inconvenience in the sound output.The overall sound quality is pretty impressive and the sound quality isn’t distorted like it was with the Redmi note 3.
- The phone has a 4000 mAh battery which when paired with its Snapdragon 625 chipset allows the user 10-12 hrs on screen time on heavy usage and 1- 1.5 days on screen time on light usage.
- The Phone does come with Fingerprint feature making the device more secure, the fingerprint can also be used to lock apps.
- The call quality is good both on 4G and VOLTE network. (We tested Airtel 4G and JIO).
Redmi note 5: Cons or Reason to not buy
- The Note 5 is very much the Redmi note 4 just with upgraded screen and camera.
- Front camera: However the front camera comes with “beautify mode” it does get a little distorted and noisy when used in low light.
- Rear camera: Like the front camera the rear also struggles a little in color balancing when in low light exposure. Although, the HDR mode does a great job in capturing details it does get a little disappointing while capturing the darker areas.
- Xiaomi still runs Android Nougat 7.1.2 from the box despite Android Oreo being launched a while ago last year; whereas phones like Honor 9 Lite which lies in the same budget segment comes with the latest Android Oreo out of the box.
- The Smartphone comes with a Hybrid sim slot, unlike the Redmi Y1 which had a separate SD card slot. So, here we would have to sacrifice a little if we would like to expand the memory of the Smartphone. But wait we have a solution for Hybrid sim slot and suggest you go through this – Solution of Hybrid Sim slot and use Dual Sim + microSD together.
- No Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 fast charger given by Xiaomi. If you are looking to buy Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 fast charger then right now in the market, Epilson and FitFit are two best & budget friendly charger you can get.
- As usual, the Smartphone comes without earphones included in the box. So better you Check it out- Top 5 Best Earphones under 500 Rs in India and Top 10 Best Earphones under 1000 Rs in India.
Final Conclusion on Redmi Note 5
So, the question now remains is Redmi Note 5 worth to buy?
Well, in my opinion, the Redmi Note 5 is a pretty looking phone for what it offers in the given price packed with a lot of cool features, but the Redmi Note 5 is just the same old Redmi note 4 but with an upgraded screen. We would suggest you stretch your budget a little and go for the Redmi Note 5 Pro instead, which comes with a beautiful dual camera and some upgraded hardware. Still, you are looking for the Best phone other than this, then the following list will help you-
- Honor 7x Review with Pros and Cons
- Honor 9 Lite Pros and Cons: Review on a Price worthy Mobile Phone
- Lenovo K8 Plus Pros and Cons: Top 11 Solid Reason to buy & Top 6 reason to not buy it
- Lenovo K8 Note Pros and Cons: Top 15 Solid Reason to buy & Top 7 reason to not buy it
- Oppo A83 Pros and Cons: Top 12 Solid Reason to buy and Top 10 Reason to not buy
Like Redmi Note 5? Buy Now
Redmi Note 5 Best Price [Lowest Price]
Redmi Note 5: Expert Score & User Rating
- Sturdy Build Quality
- Above Average Camera
- Good Battery Life
- 18:9 Vivid Display (Scroll down to know more)
- Old Processor
- Hybrid Sim Slot
- Android v7
Also, here is the introductory video from Xiaomi that you may look on-
Handpicked other Article:
- Envent BoomBud ET-BTHD001-BK Bluetooth Headphone Review with Expert Score
- 1More Piston Fit in-ear Headphone with Mic Review: Best Earphone Under 1000?
- 1More iBFree Bluetooth in-Ear headphone: Unboxing, in-Depth Review 2018
- Envent Livetune 505 Bluetooth Earphone: Unboxing and Full in-depth Review
- Evidson B3 in-ear headphone Review: Unboxing with in-depth Review
- 1MORE Single Driver in-ear headphone with mic: in-Depth Review 2018
|In The Box||Handset, Power Adapter, USB Data Cable, Ultra Thin Case, Warranty Card, Getting Started Guide, Pin|
|Model Name||Redmi Note 5|
|SIM Type||Dual Sim|
|Hybrid Sim Slot||Yes|
|Sound Enhancements||Speaker - Single (Bottom Opening), Microphones - 2 (For Noise Cancellation)|
|Display Size||5.99 inch|
|Resolution||2160 x 1080 Pixels|
|Resolution Type||Full HD+|
|Display Type||IPS (in-cell)|
|Other Display Features||Contrast Ratio: 1000:1, 2.5D Front Glass Panel, Corning Gorilla Glass|
|OS & Processor Features|
|Operating System||Android Nougat 7.1.2|
|Processor Type||Qualcomm Snapdragon 625|
|Processor Core||Octa Core|
|Primary Clock Speed||2 GHz|
|Operating Frequency||GSM - B2, B3, B5, B8, WCDMA - B1, B2, B5, B8, 4G LTE TDD - B40, B41 (2535 - 2655 MHz), LTE FDD - B1, B3, B5|
|Memory & Storage Features|
|Internal Storage||64 GB|
|Expandable Storage||128 GB|
|Supported Memory Card Type||microSD|
|Memory Card Slot Type||Hybrid Slot|
|Primary Camera Available||Yes|
|Primary Camera Features||f/2.2, 1.25 microns Pixel Size, 5P Lens, PDAF|
|Secondary Camera Available||Yes|
|Secondary Camera Features||Aperture - f2.0, 1.12 microns Pixel Size|
|Flash||Rear and Front Flash|
|Network Type||4G VOLTE, 4G, 3G|
|Supported Networks||4G VoLTE, UMTS, GSM, 4G LTE, WCDMA|
|Internet Connectivity||4G, 3G, Wi-Fi|
|Micro USB Port||Yes|
|Wi-Fi Version||802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Audio Jack||3.5 mm|
|Map Support||Google Maps|
|SIM Size||Nano SIM and Nano SIM|
|Graphics PPI||403 PPI|
|Sensors||Fingerprint Scanner, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, E Compass, Accelerometer, Hall Sensor, Gyroscope|
|Other Features||14 nm Architecture Processor, Internal Memory - eMMC v5.1, Body - Metal Back, IR Blaster, Charger - 5 V x 2 A|
|Battery & Power Features|
|Battery Capacity||4000 mAh|
|Warranty Summary||Brand Warranty of 1 Year Available for Mobile and 6 Months for Accessories|