Xiaomi Redmi 5 Pros and Cons- Solid Reasons to Change your Mind
Xiaomi with no-doubts is dominating the Indian Smartphone market with the well reputed and budget-friendly Redmi series. After the launch of Redmi Note 5 and Redmi note 5 Pro almost over a month ago, Xiaomi has introduced the Redmi 5 to the Indian market. Xiaomi has implemented few features like the 18:9 aspect ratio and Snapdragon 450 when compared to its predecessor – the Redmi 4.
The Company has always paid close attention to the value for the price and the Redmi 5 is no exception. It has followed up the trend of thin bezel screen and 18:9 aspect screen ratio.
In the provided budget segment of the Redmi 5, the device faces competitors like the Redmi Note 5, Honor 9 Lite, Infinix Hot S3, Lenovo K8 Plus and a few other Smartphones. Below we have made a list of Pros and Cons which will help you in deciding whether Redmi 5 is the right phone for your money.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Pros and Cons
Xiaomi Redmi 5: Pros and Cons [Highlights]
- 5.7 inch FULL HD + display
- 5 MP Front + 12 MP Rear Camera
- 2GB RAM/16 GB , 3GB RAM/32 GB and 4 GB/64 GB storage.
- Android 7.1.2 Nougat.
- 3300 mAh battery.
- 1.8 GHz Snapdragon 450 octa-core processor.
Xiaomi Redmi 5: Pros or Reasons to buy
- Front camera: The 5MP camera offers an enhancement filter called “Beauty enhancement filter 3.0”. The given filter makes selfies shot to be even better good looking, making the selfies social media ready. The given selfie flash comes in handy in low light conditions.
- Rear camera: The 12 MP (f/2.2) offers some useful camera features like Face detection and Autofocus. The overall performance of the Rear camera is the same as what is to be expected from the given price. Images that are captured in daylight conditions are satisfying and contain an ample amount of details.The HDR mode is impressive in low light situations providing extra details to the darker areas. The shutter speed is instantaneous.
- The phone can capture videos in 1080p at 30 FPS. Timelapse video can also be recorded. Here is video Sample of the Redmi 5 from gsmarena-
- Redmi 5 is powered by a powerful Snapdragon 450 octa-core processor clocked at 1.8 GHz. The Redmi 5 is the first budget Smartphone to feature this processor at this low price.
- The trending 18:9 aspect ratio display has been used in the Redmi 5 with 2.5 D glass on top. The FULL HD+ display has decent viewing angles and the colours are bright and clearly visible outdoors as well.
- The Redmi 5 runs on Xiaomi’s custom ROM, MIUI 9 based on Android 7.1.2 Nougat. The MIUI 9 creates an impressive user interface between the user and the device. MUI 9 also offers useful features like dual apps, Second space, Mi drop and a lot more.
- The Redmi 5 looks similar to the Redmi Note 5, retaining the premium look and feel. Thanks to the metal finish, the device attracts a minimum amount of smudges and Fingerprint.
- Important sensors like Accelerometer, Proximity, Gyroscope, Magnetic, Ambient Light sensor, step, hall, are provided in the Smartphone.
- Similar to the Redmi 4, the Fingerprint sensor placement is excellent making it’s easily accessible when using with just one hand. The sensor is quite accurate and unlocks the device and apps in a split-second.
- The IR (INFRARED) senior is placed on top of the device next to the 3.5 mm headphone jack. The IR sensor can be used to control IR supported devices like Television and air conditioners.
- The Redmi 5 comes with a back cover in the box, which provides a better grip while holding the phone.
- The device weighs around 157 grams which make the device comfortable to hold.
- The 2 GB/3 GB/4 GB is sufficient enough for running heavy games like Asphalt 8 and PUBG mobile with no lags what so ever. The maximum temperature recorded was 35 degrees which are normal.
- 3300 mAh allows lasts up to almost a day of moderate usage.
- The Redmi 5 comes with a scratch-resistant glass protection, but not Gorilla Glass protection. However, Xiaomi did not confirm the type of glass protection being used.
- 4G is supported and works fine.
Xiaomi Redmi 5: Cons or Reasons not to buy
- Front Camera: The front camera lacks detailing under low light circumstances. Images taken with the Redmi 5’s front camera under low light is too noisy and the colour grading is not up to the mark.
- Rear camera: Taking images with the Rear camera took a lot of effort and time to get the right shot. Images from the rear camera in low light scenarios suffered in detailing and saturation as well. When compared to the same budget segments phone like the Honor 9 Lite and Infinix Hot S3, they have a much better camera then the Redmi 5.
- The Redmi 5 lacks the bokeh/portrait mode.
- Xiaomi didn’t include any earphones in the box. Here, is our suggested list of Top 10 Best Earphones under 1000 Rs in India and Top 5 Best Earphones under 500.
- Compare to the Redmi 4, the battery of the Redmi 5 has been downgraded from 4100 mAh to 3300 mAh. We think Xioami could’ve have done a better job in terms of battery backup. Here, is our suggested list of Top 5 Best Power bank under 1500 Rs in India.
- The sound, when used at max volume, tends to distort.
- Despite Android Oreo being launched while back in 2017, the Redmi 5 still runs on the old Android Nougat. The Redmi 5 is still running on the Android Nougat when today world’s using Android 8 Oreo.
- Unfortunately, Xiaomi hasn’t upgraded the Hybrid SIM slot which was seen in its predecessor the Redmi 4. The Hybrid SIM slot allows you to use either two sim cards or a SIM card and an SD card. Here, is a solution on how to Use Dual Sim + microSD together.
So this was our take on the advantages and disadvantages of the latest Xiaomi Redmi 5, read further for our final words on whether or not you should buy this smartphone.back to menu ↑
Redmi 5 offers a decent camera and a good performance at a good price. However, in terms of camera, the Redmi 5 is left behind by its competitors like the Honor 9 Lite and the Infinix Hot S3. The Redmi 5 can be considered as a minor upgrade of the Redmi 4 with a slightly better processor and design. If you are the kind of person who is looking for Smartphone which can do heavy multitasking and gaming, then this phone is suggested for you.back to menu ↑
Xiaomi Redmi 5 [Expert Score] & User Rating
- Good value for money
- Relatively powerful processor
- Good Build quality
- Average Camera Performance
- Hybrid Sim Slot
- Android Nougat
- No Bokeh/Portrait Mode
Like Xiaomi Redmi 5? Buy Nowback to menu ↑
Xiaomi Redmi 5 [Best Price / Lowest Price Alert]
We hope you like our post “Xiaomi Redmi 5 Pros and Cons” and for any doubt feel free to ask via comment.
Hand Picked other Articles:
- Redmi Note 5 Pro Review with Pros and Cons: Unbeatable Phone for the price Rs 15000
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ Pros and Cons: Top 25 Solid Reasons to buy & Top 4 Reasons to not buy
- IP67 vs IP68: Waterproof IP Rating Explained [with Flow Chart]
- Lenovo K8 Plus Pros and Cons: Top 11 Solid Reason to buy & Top 6 reason to not buy it
- 1More Piston Fit in-ear Headphone with Mic Review: Best Earphone Under 1000?
- What is Kodi | How to install and use its Add-ons & Plugins [Step-by-Step Guide]
- Moto X4 Pros and Cons: Top 17 Solid Reason to buy & Top 11 Reason to not buy
- 1More iBFree Bluetooth in-Ear headphone: Unboxing, in-Depth Review 2018
- Boult Audio Rhythm Wired HD Around-ear headphones: Unboxing and Full in-depth Review
- Smartron t.phone P Pros and Cons: Review on a Good Handset worth the Price
- Boult Audio Curve Neckband Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 Magnetic Earphone with Mic
|In The Box||Handset, Power Adapter, USB Cable, Warranty Card, User Guide, SIM Insertion Tool, Ultra-slim Case|
|Model Name||Redmi 5|
|SIM Type||Dual Sim|
|Hybrid Sim Slot||Yes|
|Sound Enhancements||Bottom Speaker|
|Display Size||14.48 cm (5.7 inch)|
|Resolution||1440 x 720 Pixels|
|Other Display Features||Full View Display, 2.5D Curved Glass, Aspect Ratio of 18:9, 1000:1 Contrast Ratio|
|OS & Processor Features|
|Operating System||Android Nougat 7.1|
|Processor Type||Qualcomm Snapdragon 450|
|Processor Core||Octa Core|
|Primary Clock Speed||1.8 GHz|
|Operating Frequency||GSM - 2/3/5/8, WCDMA - 1/2/5/8, 4G TDD-LTE - 40/41, FDD-LTE - 1/3/5|
|Memory & Storage Features|
|Internal Storage||32 GB|
|Expandable Storage||128 GB|
|Supported Memory Card Type||microSD|
|Memory Card Slot Type||Hybrid Slot|
|Primary Camera Available||Yes|
|Primary Camera Features||1.25micrometer Pixels, 5-element Lens, f/2.2 Aperture, PDAF, Low Light Enhancement, HDR, Panorama, Burst Mode, Face Recognition|
|Secondary Camera Available||Yes|
|Secondary Camera Features||Beautify 3.0, Selfie Countdown, Face Recognition, 1080p/720p Video, 30fps|
|Flash||Rear Single LED Flash and Front LED Selfie-light Flash|
|Frame Rate||30 fps|
|Network Type||4G VOLTE, 3G, 2G|
|Supported Networks||4G VoLTE, WCDMA, GSM|
|Internet Connectivity||4G, 3G, Wi-Fi|
|Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|SIM Size||Nano SIM and Nano SIM|
|User Interface||MIUI 9.1|
|Graphics PPI||282 PPI|
|SIM Access||Dual Standby|
|Sensors||Proximity Sensor, Gyroscope Sensor, Accelerometer, Vibration Motor, Ambient Light Sensor|
|Other Features||14nm FINFET Technology Processor, Battery Stand Time - 31 Days, 2.4GHz / Wi-Fi Direct / Wi-Fi Display|
|Battery & Power Features|
|Battery Capacity||3300 mAh|
|Warranty Summary||Brand Warranty of 1 Year Available for Mobile and 6 Months for Accessories|