Nokia 8 Sirocco Pros and Cons- Solid Reasons to Change your Mind
Nokia is dropping phones fast in each segment and making the competition strive for better build quality and stock Android experience. The Nokia 8 Sirocco is a homage to the old Nokia 8810 Sirocco and no exception to the company’s promise of durability. The Nokia 8 Sirocco is a Flagship device, priced at 49,999Rs in India available from 30th April. What makes this device stand out amongst other smartphones in its price range? Read this article till the end to find out.
The Nokia 8 Sirocco has close competition from One Plus 5T, Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone 8, Sony Xperia XZ1 Premium and other similar smartphones. If you want to know how this device holds up against its competition and what unique offering it has for you then you are at the right place, because we will be doing exactly that and list its pros and cons in detail.
Nokia 8 Sirocco Pros and Cons
- Stainless Steel Unibody with 3D Curved Glass and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Protection on both front and back glass panels.
- 12MP+13MP Dual Camera Setup With ZEISS Optics
- 5” 2K Resolution Display 16:9 Aspect Ratio
- 6GB DDR4X RAM, 128GB Storage, and Snapdragon 835 Processor
- Quick Charging 3260 mAh battery with USB-C port.
- IP67 Water and Dust Resistant
Nokia 8 Sirocco- Pros or Reasons To Buy
- 5” 2K p-OLED Display on the Nokia 8 Sirocco is beautiful and vivid with popping colors and immersive viewing. The viewing angles are also endless here as the screen does not lose flair from wherever you may try to watch it.
- The screen curves into the sides of the device seamlessly with the 3D curved glass. The Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection offered is also very helpful in preventing accidental key scratches.
- The Nokia makes sure you feel the premium build quality it provides, from every angle. The phone has stainless steel side panels and a Glass back that looks gorgeous and this too is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- It is very grippy due to its stainless steel sides and does not slip or slide off. The build quality is on par with any flagship phone in the market as Nokia is one of the best brands when it comes to sturdy durable devices.
- The Dual Camera Setup performs nicely in daylight and artificial lighting conditions and the wide and tele lens setup takes incredible shots with great detail. The Bokeh mode also does not disappoint and the blurring does not look unnatural. You can check camera samples in this video by Cybo Tech
- The front camera is 5MP one with f/2.0 aperture and takes nice and crisp wide angle shots. The camera performance is what you would expect from a flagship and easily beats the OnePlus 5T.
- The color reproduction in both Cameras is great and faulty colors aren’t visible. This phone can record 4K Videos too at 30 FPS and they turn out incredibly detailed and smooth.
- It has rear-mounted Fingerprint sensor which is very responsive and fast. It also has accelerometer, gyro sensors, proximity and ambient light sensor, compass, and barometer.
- In the audio department, Nokia 8 Sirocco has great performance even though it has just a single speaker near the charging port. The included headphones are not 3.5mm but USB-C type and have excellent audio output. They are one of the best in-box earphones, also read- Top 5 Earphones Under Rs 500 and Top 5 Earphones Under Rs 1000.
- Another good thing is 3.5mm to USB-C adapter provided by Nokia in the box so that you can use your old 3.5mm headphones.
- The 3260mAh battery might seem less but it is adequate for this device and will last a whole day with mild usage and about 12 Hrs on heavy usage.
- It has fast charging through the USB-C type port and a Qualcomm Fast Charge Supported Charger. It also has Qi Wireless Charging Support. But if you still require more juice then read- Top 5 best PowerBanks Under Rs 1500.
- 6GB of DDR4X RAM and 128 GB Storage coupled with Snapdragon 835SOC with Adreno 540 GPU can handle all heavy and taxing games with ease. PUBG and MC5, Asphalt run without lag. The phone does tend to heat up a bit during long gaming durations with temps rising upto 36oC at times.
- IP67 Rated Water and Dust Resistance is present in the Nokia 8 Sirocco and adds to the overall durable build of the phone, making it an even longer-lasting device. If you want to know more read- IP67 vs IP68- In-Depth Explanation
- Stock Android UI and Android One Program. Nokia has decided to keep its UI experience stock so that the performance lag due to bloatware is minimized.
- The Stock Android UI is a rare offering in the Flagship device range and it is good to see it in Nokia 8 Sirocco. The android one program just adds to the ease with monthly security patches and priority android upgrades.
- It comes with built-in Google Assistant which makes it easier to use phone for navigation while driving or making a call without even requiring to touch the device. Also, Read- 100+ Google Commands To Fully Utilise Google Assistant.
Nokia 8 Sirocco- Cons or Reasons Not To Buy
- The camera lacks OIS, even though Nokia 8 had OIS, which makes images and videos shakier and unstable.
- The low light performance is also not comparable to other flagships and it produces low detail shaky images during low light conditions.
- There is EIS implementation but only till 1080p resolution. Thus 4K Videos, even though very detailed, turn out bad and shaky.
- Snapdragon 835SOC is a good processor no doubt, but it still is an Old Gen Processor which is not as optimized as the new entries in this lineup like the Snapdragon 845 which can be found in many Flagship devices.
- No Dual-SIM Slot. This is by far the biggest mistake by Nokia in terms of productivity. In India having a Dual SIM, setup is an absolute must. And the lack of it in Nokia 8 Sirocco is a severe blow to its sale value.
- No Expandable Memory. Another major blow to productivity, the absence of External SD Card support is a minus point for Nokia. Even though they provide 128GB of Internal Storage, users would still like to have the option of expandability in the future.
- The Nokia 8 Sirocco is of higher cost than its competition with the same specs. At 49,999 it lacks a lot of features and sports an old processor. If it was priced near the OnePlus 5T it would have seen better sales. If you pay 50K you would expect better performance and specs than what Nokia has to offer.
- No notch style display or 18:9 Aspect Ratio. This is something we can excuse given the quality of the Display on the Nokia 8 Sirocco but still being a flagship device it should offer the best of the best features floating in the market, like other brands like Samsung and OnePlus do.
Nokia 8 Sirocco- Final Thoughts
Nokia is a brand that offers exceptionally well-built devices and the Nokia 8 Sirocco is no exception. The 5.5” 2K Display is vivid and beautiful even though it isn’t a notch style or bezel-less kind. The camera is a mixed union of good and bad, with excellent daylight shots and poor low light performance. It lacks key camera features like OIS and stabilized 4K recording but it still managed to impress. The battery is long lasting, with fast and wireless charging support. If you are looking for a premium build flagship device with stock android experience then go for the Nokia 8 Sirocco. Here are some other recommended devices that you can consider.back to menu ↑
Like the Nokia 8 Sirocco? Buy Now!
Nokia 8 Sirocco- Expert Score and User Ratings
- Excellent Build Quality
- Long Lasting Battery
- Great Camera Performance
- Smooth Stock Android UI
- Android One Program
- USB-C Type Headphones
- No OIS
- No Expandable Memory
- No Dual SIM
- Higher Price
- Old Gen Processor
Nokia 8 Sirocco [Best Price/Lowest Price Alert]
We hope you like our post “Nokia 8 Sirocco Pros and Cons” and for any doubt feel free to ask via comment.back to menu ↑