Honor 9N Pros and Cons- Solid Reasons to Change your Mind
Honor has been trying hard to establish itself as a fair contender in the Indian Smartphone market which was governed by Xiaomi in the past. As more and more devices tend to come to give the Redmi lineup a run for its money, Honor too decided to hop on the train with its new launch, the Honor 9N. The Honor 9N claims to be the only notched phone at its price and we agree. The device in itself is very impressive but do read our full article about all of its advantages and disadvantages to decide whether you want to buy it or not.
Honor 9N has strong competition from some solid devices like the Asus Max Pro M1, Oppo Realme 1, Redmi Note 5, Moto G6 etc. It manages to hold its own thanks to its apt processor and a stunning display and beautiful design. But this comes at a compromise of some key factors and we have to take those into consideration too. Read our article till the end to know our version of its verdict.
Here are the Honor 9N Pros and Cons
- 5.84″ FHD+ IPS Display
- 13 MP+2 MP Rear Camera and 16 MP Front Camera
- HiSilicon Kirin 659 Octa Core Processor
- 3/4 GB RAM and 32/64/128 GB ROM
- 3000 mAh Battery
Honor 9N: Pros or Reasons to buy
Here are the pros of the Honor 9N-
- The Rear 13 MP+2 MP camera setup is decent given the price range of the phone. Honor 9N manages to capture a great number of details in daylight and indoor lighting conditions. The colors are accurate and overall the images turn out pretty balanced.
- The Selfie camera may not be a dual sensor setup but it features a beefed up sensor than the 9 Lite. The 16 MP shooter captures decent details under good lighting conditions and you will find it to deliver very uploadable results. You can check the camera samples in this video by TheOfficialAyush,
- The camera UI is also very neat and has tons of different preset scenes and integrations. There is a full blown Pro Mode which is great for personalized settings during shots. Honor has confirmed that an OTA update will be pushed soon that adds more shooting modes to the existing lineup which is huge on its own.
- The Honor 9N is beautifully designed with its lavish rear glass panel. The back is glossy and the color options are very vivid giving this phone a really mesmerizing look. At this price point, this design is more than one can expect.
- The 5.84″ FHD+ display is gorgeous and we were very impressed by it. The viewing angles are plenty and there is no problem in the viewing experience. The colors are vivid and clarity is very good. The display very bright too so you won’t have a problem viewing it under direct sunlight.
- The 9N sports a mono-speaker grille that offers 3D surround audio. The speaker gets pretty loud and is apt for indoor listening purposes. The audio experience is pretty decent given the price range and if you are an audiophile you should give it a look.
- The Honor 9N ships with Android 8.0 and Honor EMUI 8.0. The EMUI is swift and has large icons and several productivity modes too. It does have a lot of bloatware but thankfully it is erasable. The UI is clean apart from that and only a tad bit slower than the Stock Android UI.
- The Honor 9N sports an accelerometer, proximity sensor and a compass. This is the basic trio that should be in all budget phones so there’s nothing to brag here but just some must have’s.
Honor 9N: Cons or Reasons not to buy
Here are the cons of the Honor 9N-
- The Lowlight performance of the Honor 9N is average and the captured images lack detail and contain a lot of noise. The dual sensors fail to focus swiftly even though it has PDAF which works fine during the daytime. The selfie camera is no exception and suffers from lackluster images in low light.
- There is no EIS in the camera sensors so the videos, even though captured at 1080p, are very shaky and unstable. We expected Honor to at least incorporate EIS in a budget device but they haven’t which is a bummer. Also, the lack of any information about any kind of Screen Protection used was disappointing as Honor should at least clarify whether they have used it or not.
- The battery backup is unimpressive. The Honor 9N manages to hold up for 12 Hours and that too barely. If you are a heavy user we recommend you get a power bank to keep your phone on. Here are our recommendations- Top 5 Power Banks under Rs 1500.
- The HiSilicon Kirin 659 feels a bit overused as we see it too often in Honor devices. Honor needs a fresh addition that can compete with the likes of the Helio P20 or SD636. Then 659 feels slow against these budget processors and Honor should do something about it.
- The addition of a Hybrid SIM slot might seem like a benefit but in times where smartphone vendors are adding the SD-Card Slot altogether, the Hybrid Slot gives the option of expandability at the cost of a SIM. Here a is tutorial on how to use Hybrid SIM Slot as Dedicated Slot- Use Dual SIM+ Micro SD-Card Together.
So this was our take on the advantages and disadvantages of the latest Honor 9N, read further for our final words on whether or not you should buy this smartphone.back to menu ↑
Final Thoughts on Honor 9N
The Honor 9N brings to the budget segment a solid notched display and stunning design. The cameras perform great during daytime and the UI is smooth. But that’ about it, the pros just stop there. The Honor 9N seems like a logical choice if you love vibrant displays and crisp audio and a design that turns head, but if you need a longer lasting phone with better performance, there are many other options that shadow the Honor 9N.
Still if you any doubt after going through the Honor 9N Pros and Cons, its conclusion then ask your question in the Comment and get Answer immediately.back to menu ↑
Like the Honor 9N? Buy now!
Honor 9N: Expert Score and User Ratings
- Vivid Beautiful Display
- Decent Daylight Camera Performance
- Smooth UI
- Loud Mono Speaker
- Average Battery Life
- Average Lowlight Camera Performance
- No EIS in any Sensor
- Slow Processor
This was a short Honor 9N Pros and Cons with the expert score.back to menu ↑
Honor 9N [Best Price/Lowest Price Alert]
We hope you like our post “Honor 9N Pros and Cons” and for any doubt feel free to ask via comment.